Monday 30 September 2013

You Don’t Have to Be an Athlete to Wear Tennis Bracelets

I used to really like to wear wrestling shoes. There was probably a two or three year stretch when they were on my feet almost constantly. Maybe this was in homage to David Letterman who wore them on his show during the same time period, but I’m more convinced I did it simply because I liked how comfortable they were. The one issue that I would run into would be people who would see them and ask “Do you wrestle?” Nope, never did, never would. They would look at me funny but it wouldn't bother me. I wore them because I liked them. The same thing goes with tennis bracelets.



The name is very misleading. They weren't designed for tennis players. They didn't get their start as a prize for a tournament. They certainly don’t make anyone play the game any better, at least not beyond the superstition that athletes have about wearing certain things every time they compete. It goes back to one tennis player one time in one tournament who wore her favorite diamond bracelet while playing. She was young, she was pretty, and she stopped a very tight match because the bracelet had fallen to the court.  Once she picked up her bracelet she went on to win the tournament. With that simple act, diamond bracelets became known as tennis bracelets and the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment