Wednesday 24 July 2013

Vintage Cameo Locket of Memories

I was garage sale-ing the other day when I happened upon a pristine cameo locket.  The ivory cameo was the profile of a woman with up-swept hair and a high collar (no doubt wearing it’s own cameo pin – oh, the irony) and the backing of it was a deep blue.  It was set in a metal that appeared to be sterling silver.  It had a price of $2.

My mom used to tell me a story of how her grandma had a cameo locket and if memory serves me right, it was incredibly similar to this cameo.  In her cameo, my great grandmother had a picture of my great grandfather, who was off at war.  My great grandmother, while raising her three children in the 20’s in his absence, would wear that cameo and clutch it to her heart while praying every night before she went to bed.  She would pray for strength, enough money to keep her children fed and clothed and most importantly, the safe return of her husband.  All her prayers were answered. 



This story resonated with me and immediately came back to me upon the viewing of this cameo.  It made me smile and brought me back to an innocent time in my life, listening to a story of a tumultuous time with my great grandparents.


$2 for a this cameo locket????  I paid it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment